I tried to update iTunes on my Vista machine but I kept getting the error Bonjour Service Cannot Start. I tried uninstalling iTunes but still could not get past this error. Finally I found a workaround. This solution is not the best answer because it installes iTunes without the Bonjour service which is used to share your iTunes music. That doesn’t concern me so it works for me.
Here are the steps:
- Start -> All Programs ->Apple Software Update
- Tools -> Open Downloaded Updates Folder
- Move the following Downloaded files to the C: root directory: itunes.msi and Setupadmin.exe
- Start -> Search for cmd
- Type cd ../ twice to navigate to the C: root directory
- Type setupadmin.exe hit enter
- Type itunes.msi and hit enter
- The installation begins
Now iTunes will install as normal but without the Bonjour service. I’m still hoping to find a fix which allows a normal install or update in the future.
I found this solution here.